Places to Visit in Değirmendere
Değirmendere, one of the most beautiful places in Kocaeli province, is a small, warm, and friendly coastal town. Knowing about the places to visit in Değirmendere will enhance your enjoyment of a pleasant holiday.
Sitting in the seaside tea house in Değirmendere and sipping tea is quite delightful. Değirmendere is a charming coastal town with fantastic views, and finding a place to sit can be a bit challenging 😊
The sea may not be very clean, so it's more for sightseeing. However, the view of the İzmit Gulf, sparkling with the lights of the Tüpraş facility across the shore, is so beautiful that you won't even notice the pollution in the sea.
Değirmendere is quiet and serene in the winter, but it turns into a lively and bustling place in the summer. This magical coastal town, which finds peace and silence according to the season, takes away stress and fatigue.
It's a town that binds you with its unique atmosphere and warm environment. After spending a few hours in the sun, listening to the waves on the grass by the beach on a summer night and watching the moonlight, saying goodbye can be difficult.
Where is Değirmendere?
Değirmendere is located within the borders of Kocaeli province. It is 7 km away from the attached Gölcük district. It is 20 kilometers away from Kocaeli city center.
Due to its proximity to the city center, you can easily reach the town and enjoy Değirmendere's dreamy offerings.
How to Get to Değirmendere?
There are several alternatives for reaching Değirmendere. Here they are:
- Private Vehicle
- You can reach Değirmendere by private car or public transportation. The distance between İzmit and Değirmendere is approximately 22 km by private car, taking about 30 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
- Public Transportation
- To go from İzmit to Değirmendere using public transportation:
- You can take the 721 city bus to Değirmendere (Old Road, Coast Road).
- You can use the 722 city bus from İzmit to Değirmendere (New Road).
- You can use the 710 municipal bus from İzmit to Saraylı-Değirmendere (Old Street).
- You can take the 755 city bus from Umuttepe-Gölcük-Değirmendere-Karamürsel (New Road).
- Sea Transportation
- There is also a pier at Değirmendere Beach where ferries and passenger boats depart. You can choose to reach the town by sea.
Places to Visit in Gölcük Değirmendere
- Nüzhetiye Waterfall
- When you see Nüzhetiye Waterfall, which looks like a paradise waterfall amidst greenery, you will be amazed. Many tourists come here as it is a peaceful and tranquil place. Especially during the summer months, many tourists from nearby districts, Turkey, and abroad visit here.
There are also walking trails here. If you want to walk in a peaceful and green place, you can choose here. Many people come here for hiking, especially from spring to autumn. If you want to swim in the waterfall water, you can visit in the summer.
- Hidden Lake (Saklı Göl)
- While sipping your coffee on the shore of Hidden Lake, which offers magnificent views, you can enjoy the scenery. There are also walking areas around. You can enjoy a walk while admiring the beautiful view.
It can be visited at any time of the year, but it gets quite crowded, especially on weekends. If you prefer a quiet time, you can choose weekdays. Don't forget to bring your camera when you visit 😊
- Malta Waterfall
- Değirmendere Malta Waterfall, despite being called a waterfall, turns out to be just a noisy water flow falling from a height of only 4-5 meters. This water flows into a beautiful pool where you can swim comfortably. So, where is Değirmendere Malta Waterfall? It is located within the borders of Gölcük.
- Sultan Baba Tomb
- Surrounded by pine trees on a small hill, the tomb is often visited by childless couples. It is believed that if you pray here, you will have a child. The walls are made of concrete, the roof, windows, and entrance are made of wood. It is one of the most important historical places where people seeking healing visit and pray.
When you come to this magnificent coastal town, you will sincerely feel that even the streets you walk on are worth seeing. Although the number of places to visit in Değirmendere is limited, the town itself is worth visiting.
If you have ever visited this charming town, let's meet in the comments and share our experiences with first-time visitors. Knowledge, like happiness, increases when shared 😊