Places to Visit in Bern
If you've planned a trip to Switzerland for your international travel, having information about places to visit in Bern will enhance your vacation experience.
Exploring the city's outstanding historical sites in the city center will not only enrich your cultural knowledge but also provide a visual feast. We'll also provide information on budget-friendly travel methods for those looking to see more new places while keeping costs down.
Additionally, by reading the section on public transportation in Bern, you can make your travel more convenient. If you're ready to meet extraordinary structures found in the capital of Switzerland, Bern, take a look at our specially prepared content for our valuable readers!
Note: Dear readers, if you have information about places to visit in Bern, you can share your knowledge by writing comments. Your opinions are important to us, and you can help visitors who are discovering new places get more information.
What You Need to Know Before Your Trip to Bern
- The dream city of Bern has been one of Switzerland's most important cities since the Middle Ages, which is one of the reasons it's called the Old Town.
- Bern is the capital of Switzerland.
- The famous scientist Albert Einstein continued his work in this city for many years. There is also a museum in Bern where fragments of his brain are displayed.
- It is one of the top 10 cities with the highest living standards.
- Despite being in Switzerland, the locals are proficient in the German language.
Where is the City of Bern?
If you're planning a journey to Switzerland, in the heart of Europe, one of the cities you definitely want to see is Bern. Walking through its streets steeped in history will broaden your horizons.
Before exploring the places to visit in Bern, you should perfect your travel arrangements. This way, you won't get lost in a foreign country you haven't visited before 😊
Bern, located in the northwest of Switzerland, is bordered by France to the west and Germany to the north. Thanks to its proximity to neighboring countries, this fairytale city will increase your desire to explore new places. Moreover, you can easily reach Geneva by train.
How to Get to the Dream City Bern?
Switzerland has not yet made any improvements to its tiny airport in Bern, despite making beautiful city plans for Bern. If you're planning to travel by plane, don't worry; we'll list the most suitable options for you.
Visitors coming from abroad to Bern often prefer traveling by train. Each trip costs 31.4 Swiss Francs (CHF) per person, which is approximately 640.15 Turkish Liras.
You can reach Zurich Airport in Turkey by plane and then take one of the trains departing from Zurich Train Station to Bern. Some of the daily train services are as follows:
DEPARTURE: 05:31 ARRIVAL: 06:58
DEPARTURE: 07:07 ARRIVAL: 08:28
DEPARTURE: 11:37 ARRIVAL: 12:58
DEPARTURE: 15:07 ARRIVAL: 16:28
DEPARTURE: 21:25 ARRIVAL: 23:02
If you enjoy having fun, we wanted to dedicate a section just for you in our content. If you've planned an international vacation to Bern to escape the year's stress, you can participate in a fun festival.
During festival periods, the city becomes quite crowded. Therefore, you should definitely arrange your accommodation in advance.
Some festivals that make a visit to the Old Town of Italy attractive for visitors are as follows:
Festival Name and Dates;
- International Jazz Festival - Held in March.
- Gurtenfestival - Held in July.
- Taktlos Music Festival - Held in May and June.
- Buskers Bern - Held in August.
- Barner Fasnacht - Held in November.
- International Short Film Festival - Held in October.
- Queersicht - Held in November.
Places to Visit in Bern, Switzerland
- Old Town Area
- As in all European cities, Altstadt or the old town is an integral part of any Bern travel guide. In the old town, where beautiful houses are located, you can visit Bern Cathedral. For a fee of 5 francs, you can climb to the top of the cathedral and see the city from above. The Clock Tower, where you can admire city views in front of the Parliament Building and watch the clock strike every hour, is also located in the Old Town.
- Einstein House
- Einstein came to Switzerland at the age of 16 and published 32 scientific works during his time in Bern. One of these scientific works earned him a Nobel Prize at the age of 26, and a museum was built in Bern in his name. If you want to learn about Einstein's activities throughout his life, we recommend visiting his house in the Old Town. You can also visit the Bern History Museum, which is located right next door and offers free entry, and is integrated with Einstein's house.
- Bern Clock Tower
- The Bern Clock Tower, or Zytglogge, has been standing since the Middle Ages. It is one of Bern's most recognized symbols and is part of the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage, which proves its national importance.
- Bern Cathedral
- It is the largest and oldest cathedral in Switzerland. It is known to have been built in the Middle Ages. It should be emphasized that it is a church that should not be missed. Please take a look at the masterpieces reflected in the large stained glass windows when you go. The most famous of these is known as the "Dance of Death."
Bern Cathedral has two important points. More than 200 sculptures decorate the altar, representing the Apocalypse. From the top of the 100-meter-high church, you will be amazed by the view of Bern.
- Parliament Building
- Remaining true to its capital character, Bern also hosts the magnificent Renaissance parliament building, which is considered a national monument and is home to the Swiss Confederation. In front of the symbol building, there are 26 fountains, each made for the Swiss cantons.
- Bear Park
- Bern is pronounced as "Barn" in Switzerland, meaning bear. Here, we understand how important the love for Swiss bears is, and there are interesting legends and stories about forests and bears due to their open relationship.
Opened in 1513, Bear Park is a popular attraction in the city. Climbing trees, swimming in the water, playing games, and visiting bears provide visitors with a pleasant time.
We've provided all the details to make your vacation more enjoyable in terms of places to visit in Bern. If you've been to Bern before, you can share your happy moments with us 😊 Let's meet in the comments for your questions and what you want to share.